Got Problems With Your Kitchen Sink?
The kitchen is the epicenter of the home. It’s where many American families spend most of their time, so kitchen sinks will naturally see heavy use. Because of this, kitchen sinks are also more likely to face various plumbing issues. If you are having a problem with your kitchen sink, or any other kitchen plumbing issue, give your local plumbing company a call.
Common Kitchen Plumbing Issues
While there are many things that can cause problems in your kitchen sink, these are the most common issues we see:
- Low water pressure: If you are dealing with low water pressure out of your faucet, it is likely due to a clogged aerator. Aerators can get clogged by minerals from hard water buildup.
- Leaky faucet: There are many causes and many types of faucet leaks, so if you are dealing with a leaky kitchen faucet, you will likely need to call a professional plumbing service near you.
- Clogged sink: If your sink is clogged, it is actually probably the disposal that is the issue. The backup might be caused by debris that shouldn’t be in the disposal, a broken disposal, or an older disposal that’s ready to be replaced.
- Clogged drain lines: A clogged kitchen drain line is a little more serious than a clogged garbage disposal. If you are dealing with water backups in more than one sink, tub or toilet, you probably have a clogged drain line. If this is the case, you will definitely need to call a professional to clear your clogged drain lines.
- Foul odor – If you are dealing with a stinky kitchen sink, it is likely caused by your garbage disposal. A build-up of old food waste, especially waste that we never meant to go down the disposal, will cause a bad smell.
Sink Maintenance Tips
We always encourage calling a plumber if you can’t figure out how to fix a problem with your plumbing, but we also like to offer advice for some smaller fixes. Here are some kitchen plumbing maintenance tips:
- Use ice to clear disposal buildup: A quick and cheap way to clear some buildup in your garbage disposal is to run ice cubes through it. You can then squeeze lemon juice into your disposal to leave a fresh scent.
- Clean your aerator: If you feel comfortable taking your kitchen sink a part, it’s easy to clean the aerator to improve your water pressure. You can use vinegar and a toothbrush to clean out the aerator.
- Reset your disposal: If your disposal isn’t turning on, it might need to be reset. First, turn off the disposal. Then make sure the disposal is plugged in. With the device still turned off, you will hit the reset button. You can then turn on the power switch to get it back up and running. Always be sure to keep hands clear of the blades when working on your disposal.
If you’re having problems with your kitchen sink plumbing, you can rely on Gotelli Plumbing to provide excellent service and high-quality repairs.